Sunday 22 January 2012

Web-app-theme Gem

I came across a great gem today for creating prototype web applications - it's called web-app-theme. Typically when prototyping a new app, I have found myself spending an undue amount of time integrating a pre-made theme from the likes of Themeforest; this gem looks like it will change that, and make my prototyping much more efficient. From the blurb on the Github page, it looks to have been based around themes used on apps like Basecamp, which are very nice, well thought out layouts - perfect for prototyping (though I would still be ensuring that my design is bespoked before going into production).

Unfortunately it looks like there has not been a whole lot of development going on recently from the creator, though there are plenty of pull requests on the repository that fix most of the issues with Rails 3.1.

Some of the issues I have found (so far) using the master branch are:

  • Javascript_include_tag in the application layout file is wrong - needs to be changed to:
    <%= javascript_include_tag "application" %>

  • Image files are not in the correct location - can be corrected by:
    cp -r $(bundle show web-app-theme)/spec/dummy/public/images/* app/assets/images/web-app-theme/

I'm sure I will come across others, so I'll update here with my fixes when I do. Once Rails 3.2 goes into full release, no doubt there will be more breakages, so hopefully pilu resumes development soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment